What Should I Do in the Days Following a Car Accident?

In the days following a car accident, you may feel shaken and traumatized by the event. If the accident was substantial, you may have suffered severe injuries that required immediate hospitalization. If you were lucky, you only experienced minor injuries or none at all. You may also believe your injuries to be minor when they are actually more severe.

If you have any questions at all about the extent of your injuries and you have not yet sought medical attention, you should do so as soon as possible. Delayed symptoms can hide injuries that worsen over time and require ongoing treatment well into your future. A doctor will be able to assess you after a collision to see if you suffered injuries. Documentation of your medical treatment can also help you if you choose to pursue a case against the negligent driver.

Along with seeking medical attention, you have the right to consider legal representation and pursuing a claim against the other driver. Depending on who bears liability for the accident, you may qualify for a settlement from the other driver’s insurance policy or an award through a personal injury lawsuit. While you do not need to hire a lawyer to represent you in a claim or lawsuit, you have the option to hire one so that you can focus on your health and recovery.

Injuries Resulting From Car Accidents

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), car accidents result in hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations a year. Severe injuries from a car accident can include:

  • Broken bones
  • Lacerations
  • Burns
  • Amputations
  • Internal bleeding
  • Organ damage

Aside from the most life-threatening injuries, you may also face more subtle harm that does not readily display symptoms. Whiplash, for example, can take days or weeks to manifest with symptoms, according to Mayo Clinic. When left untreated, some injuries may worsen into ongoing medical conditions.

These medical conditions can cost you thousands in medical care, rehabilitative therapy, and medication well into your future. The last thing you want after an accident is to lose your chance of holding a negligent party responsible for your injuries because you were unaware of them. What you should do in the days following a car accident is to have a medical assessment to rule out any injuries.


Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association reported on a case in which a patient suffering from a severe brain bleed allowed a month to pass before seeking medical attention. The patient only experienced mild headaches at times, so they thought nothing of the harm the car accident caused. Allowing such a condition to go unchecked could have resulted in a life-threatening situation.

In order to avoid missing an injury that worsens, seek medical attention after a car accident. You have nothing to lose by going to a doctor, just to have the peace of mind that you are of sound health.

What a Lawyer Can Do for Your Case

If you decide to pursue legal recourse, you have the option to do so with a lawyer. A lawyer can help you with your insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit in several ways, such as by:

  • Investigating the cause of the accident to establish liability and negligence.
  • Gathering the evidence necessary for an insurance claim or lawsuit.
  • Communicating with insurance companies on your behalf.
  • Filing legal documents in time to comply with any statutes of limitation.
  • Representing your case in trial.

If you choose to hire a lawyer, they can begin working on your case immediately. Shaw Legal Solutions works on a contingency fee basis, so we do not have to charge you any upfront fees. We take our payment from a settlement or court-awarded offer we may secure on your behalf.

Consider Legal Assistance with Your Case

What you should do in the days following a car accident depends on whether you want to seek compensation. If a negligent driver or another responsible party caused your injuries, they should compensate you fairly for your suffering. Depending on the specifics of your case, you may qualify for awards for both economic and noneconomic losses, such as pain and suffering.

You have the option to seek legal assistance as well. A car accident lawyer can help you seek fair compensation through an insurance policy or a lawsuit. Even if you believe you may have been partially responsible for the accident, you may still qualify for an award, depending on the state.

Statutes of limitation may apply if you choose to file a personal injury lawsuit, so the sooner you reach out to us, the sooner we may begin working on your case. Call Shaw Legal Solutions for a free case evaluation to determine your legal rights. Call us at (425) 214-4946.


Fill Out this Form To Get StarteD

[fluentform id="1"]